Saturday, 12 July 2014

How did Pre-Exam 2013 do at the Main Exam 2014?

We checked how the Pre-Exam 2013 candidates did at the main exam 2014. How many sat which papers? How did there results compare? What would have been the effect if the pass level was already raised from 50 to 70 for Pre-Exam 2013?

Enrolment rate of Pre-Exam 2013 sitters
From all 641 candidates that passed the pre-exam in 2013 (out of 643) with a score of 50 or more, 554 candidates sat one or more papers of the main exam this year (86%). The other 14% did not show up.
62% of the candidates sat all four papers.
Of the 554 candidates, 455 candidates (82% of the PE2013 candidates that sat the main exam; 71% of all PE 2013 candidates) enrolled for paper D, of which 449 got a non-zero score. It is a bit of a surprise that only 71% of the candidates sit paper D in the year after they passed the pre-exam, as it seems a logical choice to continue your legal preparation for the pre-exam for paper D the year after - maybe this indicates that a significant percentage does not prepare too thoroughly for the legal part of the pre-exam... which may in turn explain the lower pass rates for the D-paper than for the other papers?

PE2013 group
PE2013 50 or more
PE2013 70 or more

all
non-zero
zero
all
non-zero
zero
PE2013 total passing PE 2013
641


569


PE2013 sitting main EQE 2014
554
86%

501
88%

PE2013 no show at EQE 2014
87
14%

68
12%

PE2013 sitting A 2014
533
530
3
482
479
3
PE2013 sitting B 2014
523
520
3
472
469
3
PE2013 sitting C 2014
415
410
5
391
387
4
PE2013 sitting D 2014
455
449
6
425
420
5



PE2013 sitting ABCD 2014
398
72%

376
75%

PE2013 sitting AB 2014
520
94%

470
94%

PE2013 sitting D 2014
455
82%

425
85%




PE2013 sitting A but not BCD
5


4


PE2013 sitting B but not ACD
0

0

PE2013 sitting C but not ABD
0

0

PE2013 sitting D but not ABC
17

16

PE2013 sitting AB 2014; not CD
78

58

PE2013 sitting ABC 2014; not D
16

14

PE2013 sitting ABD 2014; not C
28


22



Enrolment rate of Pre-Exam 2012 sitters
Also, 50% of the candidates that passed the Pre-Exam in 2012 came to this year's main exam - many of which has also sat one or more papers in main exam 2013 (of the 351 PE 2013 candidates that went to the main exam in 2013, 342 did A, 342 B, 302 C and 307 D - 288 did all four):


PE2012 total passing PE 2012
385


353


PE2012 sitting main EQE 2013
351
91%

325
92%

PE2012 no show EQE 2013
34
9%

28
8%

PE2012 sitting main EQE 2014
191
50%

162
46%

PE2012 sitting A 2014
116
115
1
98
98
0
PE2012 sitting B 2014
87
86
1
70
70
0
PE2012 sitting C 2014
119
117
2
99
98
1
PE2012 sitting D 2014
97
95
2
79
79
0

Success rates 
We determined the success rate of the Pre-Exam 2013 candidates sitting this year's main exam as a function of their pre-exam result. The success rate is defined as the number of candidates that passed relative to the number of candidates that sat the exam.

The blue bars indicate a pass, the red bars indicate compensable fail.


So, of the about 53 candidates that had a score at the Pre-Exam 2013 between 50 and 69, only very few passed.

398 Pre-Exam 2013 sitters (of which 376 have a score of 70 or more) sat all 4 papers. The EQE pass rate increases with the Pre-Exam score: the Pre-Exam score hereby seems a good indicator of your chance of success at the main exam. We assume that a major reason is that candidates started studying early -as is one of the aims of the Pre-Exam-, but part of the reason may also be in individual quality of the candidates, and in the study style: candidates that prepare seriously for one exam may have the tendency to also prepare well for other exams.
Of the candidates that had a score at the Pre-Exam 2013 between 50 and 69, none of the passed all four papers. Of the 12 candidates that scored 95 or more marks at the Pre-Exam, 8 passed the EQE, but 3 of these 12 failed one or more papers.


This can be compared with the success rate of the Pre-Exam 2012 candidates at the main exam on 2013 (which had a higher pass rates overall):

Conclusion
Serious preparation for the Pre-Exam benefits not only the Pre-Exam, but also increases the chance of success at the main exam. The success rate for papers C and D, to get a compensable fail or a pass, is only above 50% when your Pre-Exam result is above 80, and increases with higher Pre-Exam score.

Joeri & Roel